[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en faq.xml,1.83,1.84

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 01:42:58 CEST 2005

Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:

>  Therefore, the new default FourCC used by
>  <systemitem class="library">libavcodec</systemitem> is 'FMP4', but you
>  may override this behavior using <application>MEncoder</application>'s
> -<option>-ffourcc</option>.
> -You may also change the FourCC of existing files like this:
> +<option>-ffourcc</option> option.
> +You may also change the FourCC of existing files in this same way:

I'd probably have said "in the same way". This is valid, however.

>  <screen>
> -  mencoder <replaceable>input.avi</replaceable> -o <replaceable>output.avi</replaceable> -ffourcc DIVX
> +  mencoder <replaceable>input.avi</replaceable> -o <replaceable>output.avi</replaceable> -ffourcc XVID
>  </screen>
> +Note that this will set the FourCC as XVID rather than as DIVX.
> +This is recommended as DIVX FourCC means DivX4, which is a very basic
> +MPEG-4 codec, whereas DX50 and XVID both mean full MPEG-4 (ASP).
> +Therefore, if you change the FourCC to DIVX, some bad software or
> +hardware players may choke on some advanced features that
> +<systemitem class="library">libavcodec</systemitem> supports, but DivX
> +doesn't, whereas <systemitem class="library">XviD</systemitem> closer
> +to <systemitem class="library">libavcodec</systemitem> in terms of
> +functionalities, and is supported but all decent players.

Too many commas, and/or run-on sentence, I'm not sure which. Simplest
fix, I think: break the sentence (probably with a semicolon) after "DivX
doesn't", and replace the following "whereas" with something like "on
the other hand".

Also, three simpler grammatical errors: "is closer" rather than just
"closer", "functionality" rather than "functionalities", and "supported
by" instead of "supported but". The only place I can think of where
you'd use "functionalities" is in a context like "comparing their
respective functionalities", i.e., two different things which each have
functionality.

side of it.