[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en faq.xml,1.82,1.83

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 21:24:51 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 7/5/05, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:
[...]

I made all the appropriate changes your suggested, and put them on my tree.

Here's how the new faq entry will look like:
<qandaentry>
<question><para>
Since 1.0pre7, DivX encoded by <application>MPlayer</application>
cannot be watched on third party players because it sets 'FMP4' as a
FourCC.
</para></question>

<answer><para>
<systemitem class="library">libavcodec</systemitem>, the native MPEG-4
encoding library usually shipped with <application>MEncoder</application>,
used to set the FourCC to 'DIVX' when encoding MPEG-4 videos
(the FourCC is an AVI tag to identify the software used to encode and
the intended software to use for decoding the video).
This led many people to think that
<systemitem class="library">libavcodec</systemitem>
was a DivX encoding library, when in fact it is a completely different
MPEG-4 encoding library whose MPEG-4 support is much better than DivX's.
Therefore, the new default FourCC used by
<systemitem class="library">libavcodec</systemitem> is 'FMP4', but you
may override this behavior using <application>MEncoder</application>'s
<option>-ffourcc</option> option.
You may also change the FourCC of existing files in this same way:
<screen>
  mencoder <replaceable>input.avi</replaceable> -o
<replaceable>output.avi</replaceable> -ffourcc DIVX
</screen>
</para></answer>
</qandaentry>

If no one has additional comments, that's what I'd commit.

A woman isn't complete without a man.
But where do you find a man - a real man - these
days?
  -- Lauren Bacall
My answer: Only at #mplayerdev on the freenode IRC network.