[MPlayer-DOCS] lacking codec placement documentation.

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Fri Jan 14 15:00:20 CET 2005

<o__o__o__h> hej!, i have problems to install the codecs. i went to http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html, downloaded the codecs package, (which have no installer), but i dont know what to do with them, where to place all those files in my system

can we get a note on the mplayer download page where to extract the codecs to?

further problems:

[08:53] <Compn> isint there a readme in the codec pack?
[08:55] <o__o__o__h> no i dont find such thing

and the always interesting:

[08:40] <nicolas_p> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/install.html#id2835184
[08:42] <o__o__o__h> i already read that, but that tells me nothing about the downloaded package for the codecs "essentials""
[08:42] <nicolas_p> what about: Win32 codecs: If you plan to use MPlayer on x86 architecture, you will possibly need them. Download the Win32 codecs from our codecs page  and install them to /usr/local/lib/codecs  BEFORE compiling MPlayer, otherwise no Win32 support will be compiled!
[08:45] <o__o__o__h> mmmmmmmmmmmmm, i did not think those win32 codecs were the ones offered in http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
[08:45] <o__o__o__h> i mean, i did not know that those were the ones

user did not understand essential codec pack was win32 codecs mentioned in the docs.