[MPlayer-DOCS] Some points for cd-dvd.xml

Jiri Heryan technik at domotech.cz
Thu Feb 17 08:25:02 CET 2005

>it works for me with both scsi (real scsi, not emulation) and ide
>cdrom drives.

I was no use for hdparm for about a year, so it probably get improved.
My version of it ends with no support for SCSI (or soething like it).
If it works for you wit SCSI, maybe we should remove lines with no
solution for  SCSI drives.

>>searching) is set a speed=<speed> option to mount command. This work
>>better for me than hdparm even in native ATAPI with my writer, because
>>

>this is good for when you're mounting the cd to play, but fails when
>you want to use dvd:// or vcd:// without mounting. it would be nice if
>mplayer could also set the speed when using dvd/vcd.

Agree. I've no DVD and last I had a VCD years ago. I thing we should
mention it as an option for such use, at least until mplayer can't set
speed itself.

>>In my experience is 8x speed reasonable minimum and 24x reasonable
>>maximum with noise under fans level.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

>yeah, set it barely above the speed you need to read a movie. keep in
>mind 1x is 1.2 megabit/sec, so 8x is probably enough for any sane
>movie file, and 12x is certainly safe. lower values would be ok with
>large -cache sizes.

Most codecs defaults to 1500kbits for movie and 128 kbits for audio, so
1x is not enough at all, plus you must compensate random slowdowns which
can appear, so 8x is minimum for me. 24x is maximum you should set when
you use it for common work too. It is reasonably fast and has a minimum
noise.

Jiri