[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en encoding-guide.xml, 1.36, 1.37

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Dec 28 01:47:16 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> AFAIU it is considered good style to avoid short forms in written text,
> but on the other hand it is used as a stylistic device to make texts a
> little less dry and more conversational.
>
> So yes, I assume the "no short forms" rule could or maybe should be
> revisited.  What do you think?

I vote for removing that rule. Excessive use of contractions detracts
from the formality of text, but using them sparingly and in appropriate
places makes the wording flow more naturally.

Contractions can also be used to redirect emphasis. For example, suppose
I were trying to explain the proper usage of qns:

1. qns is not very fast, but it makes sharp edges look much nicer at low
bitrates
2. qns isn't very fast, but it makes sharp edges look much nicer at low
bitrates

The first form places extra emphasis on "is not very fast", which is not
the point I'm trying to make.

The previous sentence is an example as well -- I intentionally used "is
not" and "I'm" to increase and decrease emphasis in their respective places.

In the end, it's a matter of style. I don't know if there are any
formal, generally-accepted documentation rules that prohibit
contractions, but I prefer to use them now and then in my general writing.

-Corey