[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.1170,1.1171

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Dec 13 02:51:34 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>>I'm jealous of you guys right now, all I get is
>>>
>>>File not found: '/dev/hda4'
>>>Failed to open /dev/hda4
>>
>>If /dev/hda4 actually exists on your system, then the error message is
>>erroneous: it's a permissions issue. Try it as root, or grant your
>>normal user read access to the device.
>
> Doh, yes, of course.  But why this misleading error message?

Looks like the "File not found" error is printed regardless of the
reason open() failed. Look at demuxer.c at about line 120:

    f=open(filename,m);
    if(f<0) {
      mp_msg(MSGT_OPEN,MSGL_ERR,MSGTR_FileNotFound,filename);
      m_struct_free(&stream_opts,opts);
      return STREAM_ERROR;
    }

I'll go ahead and make a patch to look at errno and print appropriate
messages for any errors that might happen.

-Corey