[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.1161,1.1162

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 07:38:59 CET 2005

Hi,
On 12/6/05, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>
> > On Monday, 05 December 2005 at 20:27, Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:
>
> >> +.IPs threads=<0\-8>
> >> +multithreaded decoding
> >
> > Some explanation of the parameter would be appropriate. Like "number
> > of threads in multithreaded decoding", although I'm sure The Wanderer
> > will have a better suggestion. ;)
>
> How about something like "number of threads to use for decoding
> (default: 1)"? Or is "threads=1" in fact different from omitting the
> "threads" suboption altogether? (For that matter, what would "threads=0"
> do, since there would then seem to be nothing to do the processing?)

Good question. I don't know :-(

> And, if my tentative inference is accurate, a parenthetical or next-line
> comment to the effect of "Useful only on multiprocessor machines" might
> be appropriate.

It's also useful mostly with MPEG2 files and MPEG4 files encoded with slices.

> On completely another point, is there any reason why this option was
> inserted between "gray" and "idct" rather than between "sws" and "vc",
> for proper alphabetical order?

this is a suboption of -lavdopts. You're right that it's not in
alphabetical order. I just wanted to put it next to other options that
seemed related.

MPlayer's doc is offline. Find some fresh one here:
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/en/
http://tuxrip.free.fr//MPlayer-DOCS-HTML/fr/