[MPlayer-DOCS] letter to distro mplayer packagers?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Dec 2 13:20:27 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 10:10:58AM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:44:48PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> >> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org> writes:
>
> >> I don't intent to package a binary with this sort of warning. The warning
> >> is clear, don't use this package :
> >>
> >> recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection
> >
> > Well, just for best performance, which is true.  Maybe the message is a
> > bit loud.  What would you suggest instead?
>
> Nothing, this message is true, keep the choise for distribution to
> replace this messsage, then when you read "Compiled for Debian" you know
> were the package come from.

Well, we like to make the job of packagers easier and we try to provide
an upstream source that requires minimal if any changes by packagers.

If you wish to mark the the package as yours - which is a good idea -
just patch the version string in version.h, this is the official way.

So if you have a suggestion about that message, just speak up, we're
willing to change it.