[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en encoding-guide.xml,1.5,1.6

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 20:31:07 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 8/12/05, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
> > Hi Wanderer

> >> Suggest "The complexity of the frames of a movie, and thus the
> >> number of bits required to compress them, can" et cetera.
> >
> > Okay with me.
>
> Right. This is one of the changes I'd have just committed without
> pointing out, except that there was something else which I did want to
> get input on, and I figured I might as well give people a chance to
> object if they did want to.

I won't.

> >> Missing word: "such as".
> >>
> >> I'm not positive it's incorrect, but I don't like the way the third
> >> comma makes the sentence flow; it *feels* wrong to me, even if it
> >> may be perfectly acceptable in formal terms. The only fix which
> >> comes to mind would be to simply drop that comma, and I'm reluctant
> >> to do that because I think I'd have objected to *that* form if it
> >> had been the one which came through.
> >
> > That's what Rich wrote. I'm not very good at English typography
> > myself. Original version doesn't hurt my eyes so badly that I need to
> > close them not to faint, but I trust you on this. Go ahead and
> > change it your way! :)
>
> Ah, but that's the trouble, you see: I don't *have* a "my way" here.
> Both the form with the third comma *and* the form without it strike me
> as wrong, in slightly different ways. The only fix I see which does not
> have that kind of problem is considerably more invasive, something along
> the lines of "However, in simple modes such as CBR the encoders do not
> know the bitrate needs of future scenes, and so cannot" et cetera... but
> that *also* has problems, albeit lesser ones, to do with what order it
> makes sense to present the ideas in.
>
> Actually that more-invasive form is probably better than either the
> current form or my previous suggestion, although it's still far from
> satisfactory. If no one has any suggestions for further improvement,
> I'll commit the various changes with that form sometime this evening or
> tomorrow.

I also prefer the non-invasive form for the same reason.

> >> Add a comma after "encode", and replace "passes, which" with
> >> "passes; this".
> >>
> >> I also don't like the usage "Wiser modes" here, but I'm not sure
> >> what to do to fix the problem; the most obvious parallel to "simple
> >> modes", above, would be "More complex modes", but I'm not sure how
> >> well that works.
> >
> > Right. Okay with me. I was also thinking of "more advanced modes" as
> > two pass is not really more complex but makes more intelligent
> > decisions. See what I mean?
>
> That also works, and in some ways is preferable; I chose "more complex"
> because complexity is the reverse of simplicity, and it makes sense to
> parallel the earlier usage of "simple" (as I noted). I'll go with "more
> advanced" unless someone recommends otherwise.

Good! Yeah, let's wait a bit for some eventual nit-picker if you want.
I tend to prefer when all the changes are submitted before the doc
build script "strikes", but since the CVS breakage, I'm not even sure
if the doc gets still built, so it doesn't matter that much if it's
fixed today or tomorrow.

A legend is an old man with a cane known for
what he used to do. I'm still doing it.
  -- Miles Davis