[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en encoding-guide.xml,1.5,1.6

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Aug 12 17:09:20 CEST 2005

Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:

> +<para>
> +  The complexity (and thus the number of bits) required to compress the
> +  frames of a movie can vary greatly from one scene to another.

Suggest "The complexity of the frames of a movie, and thus the number of
bits required to compress them, can" et cetera.

> +  Modern video encoders can adjust to these needs as they go and vary
> +  the bitrate.
> +  However, in simple modes such CBR, they cannot exceed the requested
> +  average bitrate for long stretches of time, because they do not know
> +  the bitrate needs of future scenes.

Missing word: "such as".

I'm not positive it's incorrect, but I don't like the way the third
comma makes the sentence flow; it *feels* wrong to me, even if it may be
perfectly acceptable in formal terms. The only fix which comes to mind
would be to simply drop that comma, and I'm reluctant to do that because
I think I'd have objected to *that* form if it had been the one which
came through.

> +  Wiser modes, such as multipass encode can take into account the
> +  statistics from previous passes, which fixes the problem mentioned
> +  above.

Add a comma after "encode", and replace "passes, which" with "passes;
this".

I also don't like the usage "Wiser modes" here, but I'm not sure what to
do to fix the problem; the most obvious parallel to "simple modes",
above, would be "More complex modes", but I'm not sure how well that
works.

I haven't committed the changes I'm certain of because I'd prefer to
handle the parts I'm uncertain of at the same time; any thoughts on what
to do with them?

side of it.