[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] Snow encoding draft

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Apr 11 10:08:43 CEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 03:19:01AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:45:00AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
>
> >>As such, you will need to add vstrict=-1 to you command line to let
> >> MPlayer allow an encode.
> >
> >For this reason, MEncoder will not encode without 'vstrict=-1' on the
> >command line.
>
> ITYM "-vstrict'. Also, this usage of -vstrict is not represented in the
> man page; should it be added? Are there others?

No, it's a lavc option:

  vstrict=<-1,0,1>
    strict standard compliance
      0    disabled (default)
      1    Only recommended if you want to feed the output
           into the MPEG-4 reference decoder.
      -1   Allows  some non-standard codecs to work (snow,
           ffvhuff, ffv1).

> >>The current MB decision algorithm doesn't make very good use of
> >>this: it improves quality, but also increases bitrate.
> >
> >Start full sentences capitalized after a colon.
>
> I think this is incorrect (certainly it wasn't given as a rule in my
> otherwise reasonably strict English class a few years back), but I don't
> have any citations to back that up offhand.

I'm quite certain it is a rule in German.  I'm not entirely sure about
English, but at least it makes sense and is the way I've handled it in
the rest of the documentation.