[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] Snow encoding draft

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 09:28:28 CEST 2005

I'll get to the ripping guide later on; doing this now, on account of
it's smaller.

Guillaume Poirier wrote:

> OPTIONS OBEYED BY SNOW

I'd say "RECOGNIZED" instead.

>    Note that 0 may not be specified; if you want lossless encoding, you
>    must leave out vqscale. (Yes, quantizer can be fractional.)

Does this parenthetical comment have anything to do with the sentence
preceding it? If not, is there any particular reason to have it at that
location? I'd probably prefer to add above it as a separate sentence,
i.e. "Encoding quality, sane range 1-10, default: 0 (lossless). May be
fractional.".

>  * cmp, subcmp, mbcmp
>    Set the comparison function, default: 0 (SAD).
>    useful values = 0 (SAD), 1 (SSD), 11 (5/3 wavelet), 12 (9/7 wavelet).
>    Experience show that SSD is the best most of the time, while SAD is
>    slightly better the remainder of the time.

"shows"

>  * last_pred=<0-3>
>    Tries a few extra predicted motion vectors before doing EPZS search,
>    default=0.

Elsewhere, you use "default: "; here you use "default=". You should
probably choose one or the other; I think I prefer the colon form.

>    This option has negligible effect on both speed and quality of snow,
>    so just leave it off. (it does, however, help mpeg4.)

Capitalize "It", since you're beginning a new sentence.

>  * v4mv
>    Allows smaller motion partitions, default: off.
>    The current MB decision algorithm doesn't make very good use of this:
>    it improves quality, but also increases bitrate. (and you could get
>    more quality per bitrate by reducing quantizer instead.)

Again, capitalize the parenthetical sentence. I'd also drop the first
word; it's bad practice to begin a sentence with "and", and if you think
the "in addition" sentiment is really necessary it can be conveyed with
the word "also" elsewhere in the sentence.

side of it.