[MPlayer-DOCS] encoding guide draft

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Apr 4 02:46:25 CEST 2005

Rich, I like this very much, we need to find a way to integrate it into
our MEncoder documentation finally.  Guillaume, does this sound like a
task for you?

I have just reread the guide again and found a few more typos and minor
glitches, here it goes:

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 02:13:49PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Although it's the most widely-supported format after MPEG-1, AVI also

s/format/container/ to avoid the all-too-common confusion between file
and compression formats.

Isn't the name of the container MPEG and MPEG-* the name of the video
codecs?

> mp3lame   Encode VBR or CBR mp3 with LAME

MP3

> xvid      Xvid

XviD

> Your choices for lavc audio are mp2, ac3, and various adpcm formats

I think you are not referring to the option names, so I would capitalize
MP2, AC3 and ADPCM.

> ffv1        Lossless ffmpeg video codec #1 (slow)

FFmpeg

> The so-called "three-pass" encoding which MEncoder supports has been
> reported to cause A/V desync. This will definitely happen if it is
> used in conjunction with certain filters, therefore, it is now
> recommended NOT to use three-pass mode. This feature is only left for
> compatibility purposes and for expert users who understand when it is
> safe to use and when it is not. If you have never heard of three-pass
> mode before, forget that we even mentioned it!

Is this still valid?  I remember Loren doing a lot of n-pass work, but
probably it only applies to x264, dunno.

>   Encoding from 2:2 pulldown PAL DVD, title 1
>   2.35:1 picture aspect
>   1200 kbit/sec mpeg4 video

MPEG-4

>   128 kbit/sec average-bitrate mp3 audio

MP3

>   Encoding from soft-telecined NTSC DVD, title 3
>   2.35:1 picture aspect
>   900 kbit/sec mpeg4 video

MPEG-4

>   Encoding from an existing AVI file
>   500 kbit/sec mpeg4 video
>   96 kbit/sec average-bitrate mp3 audio

MPEG-4, MP3

>   Encoding from an existing AVI file
>   500 kbit/sec mpeg4 video

MPEG-4

> 2. Any vertical scaling must be performed in interlaced mode

period at the end