[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en mencoder.xml,1.39,1.40

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Fri Apr 1 22:27:02 CEST 2005

Hi,

Le vendredi 01 avril 2005 à 21:43 +0200, Diego Biurrun a écrit :
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:46:11AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 1, 2005 11:18 AM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> > > On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:43:40AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> > >
> > > NO!
> > >
> > > You have the concepts of streams and muxing wrong.  Audio and video
> > > streams (possibly along with other data like subtitles or whatever)
> > > get muxed (multiplexed) into container (file) formats.  The containers
> > > are demuxed (demultiplexed) to extract their contents, namely audio,
> > > video, subtitle, whatever streams.
> > >
> > > So a Vorbis audio track cannot be muxed into an output video stream.
> > > Instead, a Vorbis audio track can be muxed into e.g. a Matroska
> > > container side by side with a video stream.
> >
> > I knew that already (so I though)... but I haven't chosen my words
> > carefully. I'm sorry that I used the word "stream" when I meant
> > "container" when in fact I do know the difference.
> >
> > Here's the sentence you'd like (I guess):
> > Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Vorbis audio
> > tracks into the output file because it only supports AVI and MPEG
> > containers as an output, each of which leads to audio/video
> > synchronization problems when they contain VBR audio streams such as
> > Vorbis.
> > Or:
> > Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Vorbis audio
> > tracks into the output file because it only supports AVI and MPEG
> > containers as an output, which are not compatible with VBR audio
> > streams such as Vorbis.
>
> Since Rich says that putting Vorbis in AVI is impossible and Michael
> suggests that it is possible in theory, but not in practice I think the
> sentence just has to go altogether.  I wonder why Vorbis is part of the
> encoding guide then, though.

A very simple answer to this is that it's what I use for my rips, along
to a all the people of the tuxrip team http://tuxrip.free.fr/index.html

This guide is all about sharing experience on how to rip movies in
different manners depending on the goal you have: space efficiency
(hence Vorbis), high quality (AC3 streamcopy), ...

In my opinion, no software is an island, therefore if you can do nice
things with MEncoder and 3rd party software, then so be it.
I do understand that this start to be off-topic in the sense that we're
not here to support other software, but I just figure that this doc may
save the time of some people who reply to users on the mailing lists, so
if they can post a link instead of a full answer, that might save time
to us all in the end.

If you do not agree with me, please speak up.

> > Again, sorry for the trouble.
>
> Sorry if I came across a little harsh.

No problem. I (think I) know the kind of people you are, therefore I
didn't take it personally. You're not a flamer.

Regards,