[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en mencoder.xml,1.39,1.40

Guillaume Poirier poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:46:11 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Apr 1, 2005 11:18 AM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:43:40AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:

> > New sentence:
> > Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Vorbis audio
> > tracks into the output video stream because it only supports AVI and
> > MPEG containers, each of which leads to audio/video synchronization
> > problems with VBR audio streams such as Vorbis.
> >
> > Or:
> > Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Vorbis audio
> > tracks into the output video stream because it only supports AVI and
> > MPEG containers, which are incompatible with VBR audio streams such as
> > Vorbis.
>
> NO!
>
> You have the concepts of streams and muxing wrong.  Audio and video
> streams (possibly along with other data like subtitles or whatever)
> get muxed (multiplexed) into container (file) formats.  The containers
> are demuxed (demultiplexed) to extract their contents, namely audio,
> video, subtitle, whatever streams.
>
> So a Vorbis audio track cannot be muxed into an output video stream.
> Instead, a Vorbis audio track can be muxed into e.g. a Matroska
> container side by side with a video stream.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplexer

I knew that already (so I though)... but I haven't chosen my words
carefully. I'm sorry that I used the word "stream" when I meant
"container" when in fact I do know the difference.

Here's the sentence you'd like (I guess):
Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Vorbis audio
tracks into the output file because it only supports AVI and MPEG
containers as an output, each of which leads to audio/video
synchronization problems when they contain VBR audio streams such as
Vorbis.
Or:
Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Vorbis audio
tracks into the output file because it only supports AVI and MPEG
containers as an output, which are not compatible with VBR audio
streams such as Vorbis.

If none of those sentences suit you, or if their are still wrong,
please commit an appropriate correction for it as don't trust myself
too much on that issue.

Again, sorry for the trouble.

Regards,