[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en mencoder.xml,1.39,1.40

Guillaume Poirier poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:43:40 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Apr 1, 2005 10:16 AM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:53:10AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:

> > > What are you trying to say here?  Either you have the distinction
> > > between containers and formats wrong or you are just writing it in a
> > > confusing fashion.  A video or audio stream can be muxed into a file,
> > > but not vice versa.
> >
> > Yes, that's unclear. I think I understand quite well the distinction
> > between a container and a format.
>
> The distinction is between a container and a _codec_.  Please don't use
> the word format, it's overloaded.

You're right.

> > What I'm trying to say here is that ".avi" as well as ".mpg" files
> > can't contain a Vorbis audio track.
>
> OK.
>
> > Would it be clearer if I had written:
> > Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Ogg Vorbis files
> > into a video stream because it only supports AVI and MPEG containers.
>
> No, not at all.  Again, don't confuse Ogg with Vorbis in the docs or the
> distinction will never become clear.  You can mux different video and
> audio streams into a container, but not a container into another (in
> theory you can, but this is a VERY bad idea).  Thus you cannot mux Ogg
> (a container) into AVI or MPEG (other containers).  It _is_ possible to
> put Vorbis audio into AVI, but IIRC MEncoder does not support it out of
> the box and IIRC AVI does not handle VBR audio well.  The sentence does
> not make sense, please replace it completely.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I never bothered to really
understand the distinction between Ogg and Vorbis.

New sentence:
Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Vorbis audio
tracks into the output video stream because it only supports AVI and
MPEG containers, each of which leads to audio/video synchronization
problems with VBR audio streams such as Vorbis.

Or:
Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Vorbis audio
tracks into the output video stream because it only supports AVI and
MPEG containers, which are incompatible with VBR audio streams such as
Vorbis.

> > There's one thing you did not comment on: the arithmetic expressions I
> > added don't have any a specific tag that could make them "shine out",
> > if I may say so.
> > For instance, the expression: ARc = (Wc x (ARa / PRdvd )) / Hc seems
> > to me "drowned" in the rest of the paragraph, when I think it would be
> > good if they would have their own style, just like LaTeX does.
> > I haven't found any existing tag for arithmetic expression on the XML
> > docs (maybe I did not dig deep enough), that's why I left it that way
> > for now. What do you think about it?
>
> The DocBook book mentions Equation, InformalEquation and InlineEquation.

Ok. Thanks for checking. May I ask you to give me the the URL where
you found that information? Is that just
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/equation.html ?
Are all the tags documented on that document available for MPlayer's
XML docs, or should I limit myself to a certain subset of them?

> > Other than that, I'm interested in any other nits you may have, given
> > that I have no experience with XML.
>
> It was fine overall.

Ok. Nice to hear that.

Regards,