[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en mencoder.xml,1.39,1.40

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Apr 1 01:39:06 CEST 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 10:17:23PM +0100, Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:

>  <para>
> -  The main assumption of this guide is that you have no specific file size
> -  constraints and have no problem giving up bits in exchange for quality.
> -  While much of the information presented here is useful in any case, some
> -  of it may work against you if you have a file size goal, such as fitting a
> -  video on a CD.
> +  If this seems to be too much for you, you should probably use one of the
> +  many fine front-ends that are listed on our
> +  <ulink url="http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/projects.html">related projects page</ulink>.
> +  That way, you should be able to achieve high quality rips without too much
> +  thinking, because most of those tools are designed to take clever decisions
> +  for you.
>  </para>

Hmm, why have you removed the above paragraph.  Is it not correct
anymore?  I must admit I haven't read the MEncoder section in such a
long time that I cannot tell for sure right now..

> +  audio track(s), so you should <link linkend="menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-audio">rip
> +  those</link> first.

As a matter of style, I prefer not to spread tags and tagged content
over two lines.  I find this easier to read.

> +  there's a limited total number of bits that you can spend; therefore it's

I think long forms (it is) are preferred over long forms (it's) in
written English.

> +  image; if there aren't enough bits, the edge of those blocks are
> +  visible).

edges

> +  On the other hand, it's worthless to raise CQ as higher than 0.30 as you'd

s/as//

> +  <screen>mplayer source_file.vob -aid 129 -dumpaudio -dumpfile sound.ac3</screen>
> +  will dump into the file sound.ac3 the audio track number 129 from the file
> +  source_file.vob (NB: DVD VOB files usually use a different audio numbering,
> +  which means that the VOB audio track 128 is the 2nd audio track of the file).

If I am not mistaken the 2nd audio track is 129, not 128.

> +  Most people choose to compress audio with either MP3 or Ogg Vorbis audio
> +  codecs.

Let's not further spread the false asssumption that Ogg and Vorbis are
the same thing and/or inseparable.  Just say Vorbis when you mean the
audio codec.

> +  First of all, you will have to convert the DVD sound into a WAV file that the

Please try to keep lines below 80 characters, or even better 60-70
characters so that if small changes are made later on they show up
nicely in the diffs.

> +  Please note that MEncoder currently can't currently mux Ogg Vorbis files
> +  into a video stream because it can only create AVI and MPEG files.

What are you trying to say here?  Either you have the distinction
between containers and formats wrong or you are just writing it in a
confusing fashion.  A video or audio stream can be muxed into a file,
but not vice versa.

Nice work.