[MPlayer-DOCS] Improved vi_qfactor and (tcplx|scplx|p)_mask

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 07:32:51 CEST 2004

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> Hi, Le dim 26/09/2004 à 19:27, The Wanderer a écrit :
>
>> Agreed, with one more niggle: in the vi_qfactor description, I
>> would recommend "non-I frames", to make it more clear that you are
>> talking about "I frames" and "non-I frames" rather than "I" and
>> "non I frames". That's one of my instinctive-precision things,
>> though, and I wouldn't scream too loudly if you didn't think it was
>> worth changing.
>
> I understand what you mean, it's just that everywhere in the manpage
> it is written "smth frame" with no dash. I wrote that for consitency
> reasons, which is something Diego really cares about.

I know, and I think it's important too. You'll notice that I didn't
suggest "non-I-frames", but "non-I frames"; it's still "something
frames", it's just that the something is now the compound term "non-I"
instead of just part of that term, "I".

That said, hwoever, this isn't really important enough for me to push at
it right now. If I ever decide to really make an issue out of
hyphenation, grouping, pauses and so forth, it will be incumbent on me
to provide a comprehensive patch which results in consistent usage
across the board rather than doing piecemeal "this bit uses one
standard, that bit uses another", which is what would result if I let it
depend on whether or not I'm feeling up to nitpicking that heavily on
any particular commit.

side of it.