[MPlayer-DOCS] Re: pl/mplayer.1.txt

Jiri Heryan technik at domotech.cz
Fri Sep 24 09:32:38 CEST 2004

Hi,

sorry I was busy these days, so I don't answer until now.

Diego Biurrun wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:42:12PM +0200, frogu wrote:
>

>>Pewnego pi?knego dnia Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:29:18PM +0200,
>> osobnik znany jako Diego Biurrun naskroba?:

>>>Fixed.  Is the Czech man page displayed correctly?
>>>

>>I'm no czech but I don't think so. That is on my system I see some (R)
>>characters and 1/4 chars... but when I paste it into mutt.. the characters become
>>proper czech chars...
>>that is in firefox I see POU(R)ITÍ, but when I paste it into mutt it becomes
>>POU?ITÍ. So I think that I simply lack proper czech fonts, and the
>>manpage is correctly displayed.

Polish guys are right. I checked txt and html manpage (czech and polish)
today. No one apears right.
Czech txt version looks terrible: some chars are washed out.

HTML is other problem. I tested it yet on my home Debian, VectorLinux
w/o localisation and W32 port of groff with various result, but no one
is good.
It looks like (allmost) every charcodes up to 127 are transcoded to
&sthg;  but in rules of US-ASCII. So console HTML viewers like lynx,
which takes console fonts insted unicode works fine with proper font,
but mozilla etc. does not.

Every localisation informations (Czech-HOWTO etc.) I could find tells,
there is no localisation solution for groff in PS and similar sense.

For txt seems -Tlatin1 good, but groff crushes on some occasions.
Sollution may be national chars replacement by similar ascii chars (like
i change my name here from proper Jiří to Jiri ;-) ).
In HTML can be sollution similar, if we pick &sthg; sequences and
replace them with proper chars, then add <meta ..."iso8859-2"> tag.
Without replacement meta tag does not make sense, because mozilla will
allways display &sthg; in unicode meaning, meta information will be used
on single chars only.

Regards

Jiri