[MPlayer-DOCS] Proposed documentation for upcoming vo_pnm and vo_md5sum

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Sep 20 18:46:40 CEST 2004

Oh well, I wasn't as fast as usual and you already committed.  Never
mind, though, we can fix all of this afterwards.

Ivo writes:
> Any comments? :-)

Just nitpicks :-)

> I was unsure if it's OK to refer to other manual pages, like ppm(5).

I don't think there is anything wrong with that, I just don't know
what the best way to do it is.  From checking out some examples I
would say write just plain ppm(5) with no markup.  Other options are
writing it in italics, I tend to prefer this to bold.  The mdoc macro
package has a .Xr (crossref) directive to reference other man pages, I
have seen nothing similar in the man macro package.

So I'm undecided but inclined to ppm(5) with no markup.  Opinions?

> +.B md5sum\ \ \ \

BTW, you only need to pad the name to 7 characters, which is the
default indentation specified at the top of the man page.

> +Calculate the MD5 sum of each frame and write them to a file.

I'd say

  Calculate MD5 sums of each frame and write them to a file.

> +See also

Nit: trailing whitespace.  For consistency I would write "Also see",
it's the form commonly used throughout the man page.

> +.BR pnm (5),
> +.BR ppm (5)
> +and
> +.BR pgm (5).

see above

> +.IPs subdirs=<value>
> +If specified, MPlayer will create numbered subdirectories with the
> +specified prefix.
> +If it's not specified, no subdirectories are created
> +and all PNM files are written to the same directory.

Simpler: Create numbered subdirectories with the specified prefix to
save the files in instead of the current directory.