[MPlayer-DOCS] Better encoding description for lavc and x264

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Sep 20 17:42:12 CEST 2004

Guillaume POIRIER writes:
> Here's a patch that better describes Loren Merritt's 3-pass mode (the
> nroff formating I made is crappy and needs work),
> qns, and a couple of x264 encoding options (based a documentation I
> read)

Good.  Please make the modifications I suggest below and commit.

> Please review and give feedback,

Done :-).

> +.IPs 3 (see also turbo)

(also see turbo)

> +Second and third pass of three pass encoding. Here's how it works, and
> +how to use it:

Break the line after the period, try to avoid "'s" short forms.

> +First pass (vpass=1) writes the stats file.

The first pass..

> +You might want to desactivate some CPU-hungry options like "turbo"

deactivate

> +mode does,

s/,/./

> +Second pass (vpass=3) reads the stats file and bases ratecontrol decisions

The second pass..

(vpass=2)

> +You can put all encoding options, except very CPU-hungry options like "qns",

s/put/use/

> +Third pass (vpass=3) does both.

The third pass..

> +First read the stats then overwrite them (You might want to backup

It first reads the stats, then overwrites them. (You ..

> +divx2pass.log before doing this if there's any possibility that you'll

Try to avoid short forms.

> +have to cancel mencoder).

MEncoder

>  Use CABAC (Context-Adaptive Binary Arithmetic Coding).
> +Slows down encoding but should save bit from 10 to 15%.

.. should save 10-15% of the bits.

>  .B fullinter
>  Use all available interframe macroblock types (i16x16, i4x4, p16x16-4x4)

I suppose the values in the () are not all macroblock types, therefore
we should add "e.g.\&".

> +The idea is to find the type and size that best describe a certain area
> +of the picture, ie.\& very effective for anime content, where usualy large

Anime, i.e.\&, usually

> +of the picture, ie.\& very effective for anime content, where usualy large
> +areas of the same color (default: i16x16, i4x4, p16x16-8x8).

.., which usually contains large areas ..