[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.722,1.723

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Sep 19 12:54:02 CEST 2004

The Wanderer writes:

> Diego Biurrun CVS wrote:
>
> > +Enables the specified chain of postprocessing subfilters.
> > +Subfilters must be separated by '/' and can be disabled by prepending
> > +a '\-', appending a ':' followed by 'a', 'c' or 'y' determines its
> > +scope (default: c):
>
> This latter sentence seems poorly phrased, from my end.

I found it quite hard to get this right, but it was lightyears ahead
of the original description.

> When I see
> "prepending a '\-', appending a ':'", I expect it to be followed by ",or
> <verb>ing a <noun>" or something along those lines. The segment
> beginning with "appending" appears to be a separate idea, and should
> probably be treated as such.
>
> Also, I think it's formally a little ambiguous as to what is the
> antecedent for "its".

Hopefully better version committed.

> > -Automatically switches the filter off if the CPU is too slow.
> > +Switch the subfilter off if the CPU is too slow.
>
> I think this is less clear than the previous version... with the new
> form, I wouldn't be sure whether it was "will react to the CPU being too
> slow by turning off this filter" or "if your CPU is too slow, add this
> to switch the filter off". The latter is plainly ridiculous in the
> context (since its only use would be to change a default, if the CPU
> were fast enough for some files but not for others), but it takes me a
> little more thought to realize that than I'd really like.

OK, so I put the "automatic" back again.

> > +Horizontal deblocking on luminance only and switch vertical deblocking on or
> >  off automatically depending on available CPU time.
>
> Suggest a comma after "only".

OK

> > -Detects and drops first of interlaced frames in video stream.
> > +Detects and drops first interlaced frame in a video stream.
>
> I don't know if this is quite correct; after all, it takes two things
> (frames) to be interlaced, because you have to interlace one with the
> other. I think the plural might be correct. (Then again, I also just
> woke up.)

Again, this is based on something written by a Russian.  It's not so
clear what is really meant.  Hopefully better version committed.