[MPlayer-DOCS] complete documentation

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at ifsic.univ-rennes1.fr
Sat Sep 11 23:45:17 CEST 2004

Hi,
Le ven 10/09/2004 à 19:18, Diego Biurrun a écrit :
> Guillaume POIRIER writes:
> > I'm also the maintainer of a DVD-rip script based on
> > MPlayer/Mencoder and transcode called tuxrip (http://tuxrip.free.fr if I
> > recall right).
> > It was originally written by someone else (Jotenakis) in bash, but since
> > it had no design, it just can't be extended or it would explode ! ;-)
>
> And you didn't tell yet and were missing from our projects page ?!?
> Shame on you ;-)
>
> Tuxrip added.

Thanks Diego... I wasn't exactly expecting that from you, but that's
very nice of you. :-)

> Yes, lavc is a tool for experts.  I doubt it is harder to use than
> XviD, though, if there is good documentation.

I agree with you... Though I do think there is somewhat room for
improvement... I think I heard people here hate to hear about
"profiles", but I can't help thinking that many (at least _new_) users
would like to have presets like lame has (medium, standard, extreme).
For what I have seen (I had a look at ve_* parsers), presets don't mean
users can't modify/add options that were activated by the coded as long
as the presets can be parsed first, then the additional options, that
might reverts some settings.

lavc being currently a tool for experts doesn't mean (I my humble
opinion) it can evolve in a nice, easy and tunable codec.

> > Maybe that isn't the right place to talk about features, but I'd like to
> > point out a really cool XviD feature that could maybe get ported in
> > lavc.
> > It's called... turbo mode!
> > Basically, what it does is during first pass of 2-pass mode, it uses
> > simpler MV search fonctions and I think it also disables some CPU-hungry
> > options. On my machine, the first pass will run at 40fps and 9fps, with
> > not that much of a PSNR reduction actually.
> > I wish it could be implemented in lavc.
>
> Well, Michael, what do you think?  Looks like Guillaume will improve
> the documentation in return ;-)

I didn't promise I would do it, you know! ;-) At least you can count on
me to add it on my todo-list! ;-)

> Glad to hear you are willing to tackle this.  To learn more about
> lavc's multitude of options you should ask on the ffmpeg-devel mailing
> list.  Just subscribe to it at http://ffmpeg.org.  The people on that
> mailing list will be able to help you out.

I subscribed to this list. I'm gonna wait a little bit before posting
there to figure out what the policy of that list is... just like I did
for mplayer!

Regards,