[MPlayer-DOCS] complete documentation

Daniele Forghieri guru at digitalfantasy.it
Fri Sep 10 14:42:25 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun wrote:

>Hello team!
>
>I've been planning to write this for quite some time..
>
>We should finish the documentation.  Of course it is never finished,
>but we are getting very close to having every option documented.  I'd
>like to speed up this gradual process and get this over with finally.
>For this I need your help, I am chronically overloaded and should
>devote more time to my final exams.  Therefore I was hoping to get
>some of you interested in helping me out.
>
>What needs to be done?
>
>* audio output drivers
>  FIXME: Document suboptions for sdl, arts, esd, jack, nas, macosx, sgi, sun,
>  dxr2, mpegpes, null, pcm, plugin.
>
>* video output drivers
>  FIXME: Document suboptions for x11, xover, dga, sdl, vidix, xvidix, fbdev,
>  fbdev2, vesa, null, aa, bl, ggi, mga, xmga, syncfb, 3dfx, tdfx_vid,
>  tdfxfb, dxr2, dxr3, mpegpes, zr, zr2, yuv4mpeg, gif89a, jpeg, pgm, png, tga.
>
>* XviD encoding options
>  There's still a few undocumented options, some are marked FIXME.
>
>* lavc encoding options
>  I'm not sure if all options are in the man page and most are (too)
>  tersely documented.  This needs some loving ;-)
>
>* x264 encoding options
>  I think this is complete.  Somebody please check.
>
>* lame encoding options
>  Some options were added recently without being added to the
>  documentation.  The help output documents some things that would
>  better fit in the man page.
>
>* divx4 encoding options
>  This is not complete at all.  It's obsolete, but as long as it is
>  still included, it should be documented.
>
>* -playlist
>  This needs a more verbose and complete description.  Maybe also
>  mention how to write playlist files.
>
>* playtree
>  There are clever ways to pass options to only one or several files
>  specified on the command line.  It's not properly described
>  anywhere, though.
>
>* tdfxfb vs 3dfx vs tdfx_vid output drivers
>  Somebody needs to blackmail Albeu into documenting this finally.  I
>  don't seem to be able to do it :-(
>
>Please grab some part of this task list and send a patch or commit.
>If there is something you know, document it.  If you don't know it,
>talk to the authors and find it out or read the sources.
>
>I'm a big fan of incremental improvement.  Just listing all option
>names and marking them as "FIXME: Document this." is a big improvement
>over the current situation.  This way others will see the gaps and may
>help filling them.
>
>Most tasks I described above can be broken down into small pieces.
>Every little bit helps.  Even if you only find out that one output
>driver has no suboptions and can be removed from the FIXME list this
>is already valuable.
>
>A 1.0 release should live up to minimum quality standards.  Complete
>documentation surely is one of them, so let's try to achieve this.
> [...]
    This weekend I take a look at the vo_tga modules and, in the
meantime, all the other image format (png  & pgm) that, probably, does't
have any option ;-) .

    If I have time I take a look at some other to see if is easy to find
out if there are or not option.

    Having only the option listed is a great step and, after that, is
easiest also for someone else explain one or all of that.

       Daniele Forghieri