[MPlayer-DOCS] Some precisions about cbp and qprd

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at ifsic.univ-rennes1.fr
Fri Sep 3 15:26:51 CEST 2004

Hi there,
I'm working on the translation of English manpage to French.
I'm having trouble to understand libavcodec's "cbp" and "qprd"

Here's how cbp is documented:

.B cbp\ \ \ \
Rate distorted optimal coded block pattern.
Will select the coded block pattern which minimizes distortion +
lambda*rate.
This can only be used together with trellis quantization.

is that equivalent to:
.B cbp (trell only)
selects a block that has the best distortion rate, minimizing distortion
+ lambda*rate

same for qprd:
.B qprd\ \ \
rate distorted optimal QP for the given lambda of each macroblock, note
this
needs mbd=2

I'd tend to write something like:
.B qprd (mbd=2 only)
selects the QP that has the best distortion rate for a given lamda"

And all in all, am I right to think that "distortion rate" means "how
the encoded is close to original"?

Regards,