[MPlayer-DOCS] Re: Swedish translation

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Wed Oct 20 05:02:25 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 03:49, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Applied.
>
> FourCC does not need to be translated IMO.

First to Carl: Great work!

I think it's probably less helpful if all the technical abbrevated jargon gets
translated (re FIXME regarding DVDNav...) for both the reader and the
tech support desk ;-) I have little idea how to translate it anyhow, as I always
use my computer in english and not swedish, and despite my native language
being Swedish, I don't live in Sweden so I don't really keep up with what english
jargons get accepted into Swedish as-is and what gets its own word, and so on,
although I've read alot of 80s era technical documentation for computers in
swedish, which might contain some funny, but proper swedish, computer jargon
that has since then been completely forgotten :-)

Regarding encoding, what encodings are help/* files supposed to be in anyway?
Does mplayer use iconv to translate them on the fly, or what?... I'm just wondering,
since if I'd be setting my locale to swedish I'd probably still use UTF-8 and not
iso8859-1, although I suppose most Swedes using *nix uses sv_SE.iso88591?

I haven't reviewed all of the translation yet, but here's one patch. Best viewed
in iso8859-1.

I see an A with an apostrophe like sign ontop, right before the "plus minus"
sign.

I finally figured out what "untecklarna" was supposed to mean, "utvecklarna"
(developers), I think? Carl, what do you think? Also in the patch...