[MPlayer-DOCS] en/mplayer.1: bugs and question

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at ifsic.univ-rennes1.fr
Fri Oct 1 11:00:10 CEST 2004

Hi,
Le ven 01/10/2004 à 07:48, Jiri Heryan a écrit :
> I found some errors in mplayer.1, I'm afraid. I've not send patch,
> because I am not so sure.
>
> 5847: look horrible for a a short
>                                 ^^^^

That's the part of the man page that I worked on, so I guess that's my
job to answer your questions.
Here, the only problem is the double "a", right?
I'm gonna fix that in next commit.

> In next part I am puzzled, because in some instances like those I
> consider 'increase' and 'raise' as synonyms and there are
> similar functions but an opposite quantizer changes.
> 5842:
> Imagine a scene with a bird flying across the whole scene; tcplx_mask
> will decrease the quantizers of the bird's macroblocks (thus decreasing
> their
> quality), as the human eye usually does not have time to see all the bird's
> details.
> 5859:
> a blue sky and a house; scplx_mask will raise the quantizers of the grass'
> macroblocks, thus decreasing its quality, in order to spend more bits on
> the sky and the house.

You're right that there's a problem here.
It's: "tcplx_mask will raise the quantizers"

When you raise quants, you decrease quality.

> Is there meaning of DC a low resolution part of image? Allways is?
> 5875: ...scplx_mask will reduce the quality of P blocks even if only DC
> is changing

I don't understand what you mean... but if your problem is to understand
the meaning of DC, I can't help you with it right now, I don't know.

Cheers,