[MPlayer-DOCS] manpage and HTML docs - FFmpeg MPEG-4 vs. DivX

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Nov 20 23:44:24 CET 2004

Jakub Misak wrote:

> On Saturday 20 of November 2004 22:37, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
>  wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 17 November 2004 at 21:25, Jakub Misak wrote:
>>
>>> The only solution is to remove the "DivX" from this line (at
>>> least from this line in the manpage, that's all I ask for)
>>> completely.
>>
>> I agree. And if we're mentioning DivX (as in: "DivX compatible"),
>> we should mention that it is "XviD compatible" as well. Best remove
>> it.
>
> Exactly. And also 3ivx compatible, Apple MPEG-4 compatible etc... I
> know that the "DivX" in the libavcodec descriptions is meant like
> "DivX compatible", but unfortunately regular users won't get it,
> because it simply says "DivX". And it only supports the widespread
> myth that the only MPEG-4 codec is either DivX, or DivX and XviD (and
> that libavodec MPEG-4 is either DivX or it doesn't exist).

Of course, the reason for having the mention there at all is so that
people who don't know what MPEG-4 is but do know what DivX is will be
able to have some understanding of the explanation. I don't know of any
way to accomplish that without also causing the side effect to which
this thread is an objection... the question then becomes, which of these
problems outweighs the other?

side of it.