[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] Binary packaging guidelines, second draft

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Nov 20 22:34:59 CET 2004

On Friday, 19 November 2004 at 20:16, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:20:25AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > This is the second draft, with most of your suggestions included.
> >
> > Outstanding issues (correct me if I omitted anything):
> >
> > * whether or not to require the following features:
> > - DGA
>
> do not require.

OK.

> > - FAAD (internal or shared?)
>
> require one or the other but don't specify which.

OK.

> > - GUI
>
> do not require. require it to be a separate package, if included at
> all, imo. :)

IMHO too. Done.

> > - XAnim codec support
>
> i don't care.

It's useful. I've had at least one or two clips which were unplayable with
everything else.

> > * audio/video output
> >   - fbdev
> >   - JPEG/PNG/TGA
> >   - (X)MGA
> >   - OSS
> >   - SDL
>
> SDL should not be required or recommended. it's just a poor wrapper to
> other vo's already supported, and has lots of bugs.

But the DOCS recommend it as a solution to some audio problems.

[...]
> > Including other features, like LIVE.COM streaming or JACK support, is
> > acceptable. They SHOULD, however, be build-time configurable, with default
> > build configuration containing the above set.
>
> huh, build-time?! we're talking binary packages...

Well, as Jan said: think "source packages".

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/