[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] Binary packaging guidelines

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 01:53:28 CET 2004

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> On Wednesday, 17 November 2004 at 20:02, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>>Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>>
>>>About this document
>>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> With the release of MPlayer 0.90pre9 all licensing issues have
>>> been eliminated and all code is licensed under the GPL. This
>>> allows creating and distributing binary packages.
>>
>> "creation and distribution" (possibly preceded by "the" and
>> followed by "of").
>
> Sorry, but I've never seen such constructs. All my grammar books, on
> the other hand, are saying that either "allow + to + inf." or "allow
> + gerund" is possible.

Yes, that is valid in the technical sense, and in some cases it's
probably completely acceptable - but I don't think it flows well in this
instance. I have no real justification, except to say that as things
stand, the final sentence quoted looks to me like broken English, and I
don't think I'd be entirely alone in that.

side of it.