[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: homepage/src projects.src.en,1.94,1.95

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Nov 5 03:47:15 CET 2004

Gabucino writes:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Yes, this is a quote from the QuickView Pro license.  What exactly is
> > your point, please?  Which portion of what you quoted above warrants
> > keeping QuickView Pro blacklisted and for what reason?
> >
> > I've done my homework, now please do yours.
> Ad 1:
> Because QuickView 1 decodes Indeo files with official Indeo codecs licensed
> from Intel. QV 1 contains this un-REable license clause, and just because this
> clause disappeared from QV 2's license is worlds far from being enough proof.

Proof of what?

QuickView (what you call QV 1) contains the no reverse engineering
clause, but it obviously does not use FFmpeg since the last revision
was released in 1998.  The FFmpeg project was started in 2000.

This is about QuickView Pro (what you call QV 2), which does contain
FFmpeg code as the copyright notices clearly state.  Its license does
not prohibit reverse engineering anymore.

> Ad 2:
> AFAIR QV 2's license did contain this clause (read maybe ffmpeg-devel
> archives), or else why would this project have been blacklisted? There's a high
> possibility that QV's author modified all the QV zips on his site.

We're going in circles here.  Yes, the QuickView Pro license did
forbid reverse engineering, that's why the project was blacklisted.
No, it does not forbid reverse engineering any longer (just look at
the license text), that's why I removed it from the blacklist.

> Being a legal representative is not about believing everything a
> closedsource app's author writes in his license!

What exactly is your point here?  A license is not something you can
believe in.  Whatever the license says is fact, pure and simple.  Am I
supposed to doubt that the program contains FFmpeg code although the
copyright notices state it?  Am I supposed to believe the prohibition
of reverse engineering is still present when it has clearly been
removed from the license text?

> Can you positively confirm that QV doesn't infringe anymore? Even a
> confirmation email from QV's author would be far from enough, and I
> guess you don't even have that.

Guess what, you guess wrong.  I received a mail from Wolfgang
Hesseler, the QuickView Pro author, informing me that the QuickView
Pro license no longer forbids reverse engineering.  I have sent this
mail to mplayer-legal.