[MPlayer-DOCS] printf -> mp_msg conversion (etc.), first patches

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat May 22 07:26:48 CEST 2004

Quoting myself as of the 17th:

> I'm going through the source and doing two things: first, changing
> any non-commented printf to an mp_msg (using MSGL_FIXME and
> MSGT_FIXME in almost every case), and second (per request), moving
> any translatable printed text from the source files themselves to
> help_mp-en.h so the translators can find it. The attached patches, to
> this afternoon's CVS (and hopefully in the correct form), do this for
> mencoder.c; patches for other files will follow as I complete them.
>
> I may have gone overboard somewhat with the latter type of change;
> some of the things I've moved may not need translating. Please do
> object to any change you think doesn't make sense; please also speak
> up if any of the MSGTR names I've used aren't appropriate. I should
> probably have separated the two sets of changes into different
> patches, but that didn't occur to me until I was more than halfway
> through. I can do it if necessary, but it would require essentially
> starting from scratch.
>
> The first patch adds the necessary #defines to mp_msg.h.
> The second patch defines the new MSGTRs in help_mp-en.h.
> The third patch removes all functional printfs from mencoder.c.
> The fourth patch keeps mplayer.c from breaking on a syntax change in
> MSGTR_Exiting.

Okay, close to five days with neither commit nor comment. I don't like
to think of myself as impatient, and I know that people do have other
things to do with their time - but so do I, and I don't want to do the
work if it's just going to get ignored.

The submitted patches include the base on which the rest of the work
would depend; the questions either asked or implied are important in
that if I assume the wrong answer people are likely to get annoyed with
me and regardless the work would be wasted.

If I don't get some kind of comment - at least to the effect of "we're
busy, this is in the attention queue" - by Monday afternoon, I'm going
to assume lack of interest and drop the project again until I hear
otherwise.

(Or is this actually not appropriate for -DOCS? CC'ed to -dev-eng with
that belated thought; if the original post should be re-sent there and
further attempts at discussion moved, just let me know.)

side of it.