[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.604,1.605

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Jul 6 14:12:20 CEST 2004

The Wanderer writes:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
> > The Wanderer writes:
> >
> >>Diego Biurrun CVS wrote:
> >>
> That's what I thought; it's what I understood from the previous way of
> phrasing it. The replacement way says to me "supports playlists which
> are one file per line, but they must be in Winamp or ASX format".
>
> A simple rearrangement - "(ASX, SMIL, Winamp, or one-file-per-line
> format)" - ought to fix the problem.

Fixed.

One question about commas in English: If you write several things in a
row separated by commas as well as the words "and" and "or", does the
and/or replace the comma or not?

  foo, bar and foobar

  foo, bar, and foobar

  foo and bar and foobar

  foo, and bar, and foobar

I've seen all of these variants.  In German and/or definitely replaces
the comma, I'm quite sure about Spanish and to a lesser extent French
as well and I have always assumed the same for English.  Maybe you can
clear up my confusion.

> >>Suggest "being able" > "be able".
> >
> > So you mean "The aim is to be able to use MPlayer as a backend for
> > other programs." ?
>
> Yes. I'm not completely happy with "aim", but don't have any better
> suggestions offhand.

I have changed this to:

  Switches on slave mode in which MPlayer works as a backend for other
  programs.

I think this should do the job.

> > Oh, and while we are at it.. real time, real-time or realtime?
>
> Never the first, unless the term is being used as a noun; which of the
> latter two is appropriate depends on the context, and both may be
> equally acceptable. In most cases, however, I'd probably go with
> "realtime".

I've settled for realtime.

> For another "while we're at it": is my printf > mp_msg initial patch (on
> -dev) going to get any further attention? I left off having asked some
> questions about what needed to be fixed (mostly in terms of messages
> moved to the translation file) before committing it, and have gotten no
> reply. I could post a slightly revised version of the patch (one or two
> tiny things changed) as a way of dragging attention back, but since much
> of that might have to be altered I'm a little reluctant to use up
> bandwidth and archive space when the parts which need attention are
> already there. I kept working on more for a little while anyway, but by
> now have pretty much dropped it until I hear back on what needs to be
> done how.

I can perfectly understand your frustration.  Fear not, though, we are
very slow to react sometimes but we rarely if ever completely ignore
patches.

If you still haven't given up completely I would love to get some help
reviewing the manual page.  I've done this on paper some time ago but
I haven't yet committed all of it.  It would be a duplication of work
to start before I have committed that, but I could just tell you once
this has happened.

Hopefully, this ought to be a tad more rewarding since I am one of the
quicker devs when it comes to applying/commenting patches.

Regards