[MPlayer-DOCS] manpage entries for -v, -verbose, -quiet

Torinthiel torinthiel at wp.pl
Fri Jan 30 12:51:02 CET 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 11:31:40AM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:28:25 +0100
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> > But while we are discussing man page structure..  I have something
> > much more radical in mind: I want to split the man page into mplayer.1
> > and mencoder.1.  I would have done this long ago, but I do not know
> > how to best handle the overlap of options between mplayer.1 and
> > mencoder.1.  We have several possibilities:
> >
> > 1) duplicate everything
>
> very bad idea

Too error prone.

> > 2) Put common options in mplayer.1 only.
>
> bad idea
>
> > 3) Construct some build system magic that glues together the two man
> >    pages from different man page snippets.

Vote for this. Shouldn't be too difficult, just get to know what parts
are common and what are separate and then some joining by cat ;)
Torinthiel

> 4) Add a mplayer-common.1

And why is it better than 2)? In two at least most users (the ones using
only MPlayer) have to read only one file. Here everyone has to read (and
search for worse) in two files.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)wp(dot)pl