[MPlayer-DOCS] Unbreakable space

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Sat Dec 11 15:28:55 CET 2004

Hi,
Le samedi 11 décembre 2004 à 12:53 +0100, Torinthiel a écrit :
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:48:41AM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > I'd like to add that I was not criticizing the fact that MPlayer uses
> > XML... I'm just wondering whether XML is mature enough to provide the at
> > least the same features as LaTeX (more precisely regarding typography).
>
> Wow, you say LaTeX can recognize it's typesetting French and insert
> extra spaces then? I knew LaTeX was clever, but not THAT clever.

Well, that's not exactly like that. You do have to tell LaTeX it's a
French document on the header of the source. And then, LaTeX will rock
on those documents.

> Anyway, I'm not a XML wizard, but I think it's not XML's job but
> parser's.

I though so, but I guess I somehow haven't stated it clearly. If no one
knows how to tell the parser to respect French typography, could anybody
direct me to the appropriate documentation?

> And you have to have a way to type it in HTML as well ;)

;-)
Yes, there's a way, but it's ugly IMHO. That would be a recursive regex
to replace ":" by something like ":&#160" but I guess it'd have to be a
little more clever in order not to replace an existing ":&#160" with
":&#160&#160" or http:// by http:&#160//. Since I don't trust me enough
to write such regex, I'd prefer if the parser could do it for me.
... otherwise, I'd have to say that XSLT isn't worth much! ;-)

Regards,