[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.811,1.812

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Dec 1 17:58:17 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 05:12:36PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> D Richard Felker III writes:
> > On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 11:47:31PM +0100, Diego Biurrun CVS wrote:
> > > +.B \-nodouble
> > > +Disables double buffering.
> > > +Double buffering fixes flicker by storing two frames in memory, and
> > > +displaying one while decoding another.
> > > +It can affect OSD negatively, but often removes OSD flickering.
> > > +It needs twice the memory of a single buffer and thus will not
> > > +work on cards with very little video memory.
> >
> > I don't think there's any supported hardware where this is the case,
> > though...
>
> Remove the sentence then?  Or just specify how much "little" video
> memory is?  How much is "little" in this case anyway?  Nowadays people
> believe that 8MB of video RAM is little memory, so this should be made
> explicit.

something like 1-2 megs for normal sized video... if a card has that
little memory, its io is way too slow to play a hi-res movie anyway.
also, it only affects drivers where the buffers are actually in video
memory and double-buffering is supported, i.e. mga/vidix/directx.

imo it's irrelevant and the stuff about vid mem doesn't need to be
documented. the only purpose of -nodouble is for debugging or if you
have a perverse desire to see tearing. :)

rich