[MPlayer-DOCS] Some more manpage errors?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Aug 18 00:36:15 CEST 2004

Torinthiel writes:
> Lines 203, 235, 1530 - double space is intended?

Might be prettyprinting in the manual page, remove it, troff
interprets double spaces.

> Lines 1477, 3306, 3969, 4570, 4908, 4921, 5036, 5048, 5063, 5562 - Is it
> full sentence or not? (i.e capitalization/full stop consistency)

1477, 3306, 3969, 5562: yes
4570: no
5036, 5048: No, but the warnings should be in the default format.
4908, 4921, 5063: No, but there are full sentences afterwards, so I
would use capitalization/full stop anyway, it will look awkward
otherwise.  Rewording might be better, though.

> Line 1726 - (default: *) style (it generally needs a consistency run,
> but I don't have time for it now).

Yes, could be removed as well.  We always document the non-default
options.  And yes, a consistency run is desperately needed, volunteers
please step forward ;-)  It's not that urgent, though, so do it
whenever you find a moment for it.

> Line 1492 - Ok, I know it says 'do not use'. But it should say (delay
> plugin only) as well, IMHO.

At first I was going to say it's redundant, but it's not.  The -aop
section is pretty confusing.  Add it.

> And the plugin list 2 lines above should
> mention delay, as well.

yes

> Lines 4743 and 4757 - Shouldn't the note form the second line go on the
> first line? At least the option matches then.

Doh, yes, looks like it...

> Line 3624 - The 'and' makes no sense to me.

Neither does it to me.

> Line 4576 - vqmin is not an option (no '-' before it)

yes

> Lines 5276-5278, 5281-5282, 5366-5370: These are punctuated as not full sentences.
> However, when groff processes the text it will meld into one piece of
> text.

Yes, I'd say add some punctuation/capitalization then.

> Line 5324, Deletion of (default*) from here did more harm than good. Now
> I don't have any idea what quantizers mpeg_quant forces.

Yes, your change looks better.

> Lines 5356, 5347, 5357, 5358: '1or2' looks better as '1 or 2' for me.

yes

> Patch included,

Apply with the modifications discussed above/below.

>  .IPs 128
> -Signed  16-bit (Little-Endian)
> +Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)

This should not be capitalized.

> -set alpha difference.
> +set alpha difference

You should also capitalize "set" here and keep the period.

> -luminance masking.
> +Luminance masking.
>  Warning: Be careful, too large values can cause disastrous things.
>  Warning2: Large values might look good on some monitors but may look horrible
>  on other monitors:

Don't capitalize this, it's not a complete sentence, remove the period
instead.  The warnings should have the default style.

> -darkness masking.
> +Darkness masking.
>  Warning: be careful, too large values can cause disasterous things.
>  Warning2: large values might look good on some monitors but may look horrible
>  on other monitors / TV / TFT:

same here

> -spatial complexity masking.
> +Spatial complexity masking.
>  Larger values help against blockiness, if no deblocking filter is used for
>  decoding.
>  Tip: Crop any black borders completely as they will reduce the quality

Here you can maybe keep it since a full sentence follows, but the same
thing applies to the following "Tip:" (which ought to be "Hint:",
btw).

Good work.