[MPlayer-DOCS] XviD encoding options man page

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Aug 14 18:30:51 CEST 2004

Guillaume POIRIER writes:

> But here's a clever advice they gave:
> Christoph Lampert wrote:
>  > for max_bframes>1, qpel and gmc you can warn that using those, though
>  > being perfectly legal MPEG-4, are not compatible to the "DivX Home
>  > Theater" profile, so the resulting bitstream might not be playable
>  > with (older) MPEG-4 standalone devices.
>  >
>  > Of course, similar restriction apply to lavcodec's mpeg4, so maybe a
>  > separate section on MPEG-4 + hardware-compatability would be useful.
>
> What do you think? Where in the man page does those advices should land?

I think a note or warning together with the options should be enough.
If there are too many such options we might as well group them
together with a general comment.

Does anyone have better ideas?

>  > And have you thought of splitting mplayer/mencoder manpage into two?

I still have this planned eventually.  The bigger the MEncoder only
sections grow the more likely this is becoming.