[MPlayer-DOCS] XviD encoding options man page

Guillaume POIRIER gpoirier at irisa.fr
Thu Aug 12 15:19:45 CEST 2004

Hi there,
As I recently got my patch that documents a little better XviD encoding
options in the man page merged into the cvs, I asked for some feedback
to XviD devs. Here are their answers:
http://list.xvid.org/pipermail/xvid-devel/2004-August/004493.html
http://list.xvid.org/pipermail/xvid-devel/2004-August/004494.html

See the attached patch for better-documented options thanks to their
advices.

But here's a clever advice they gave:
Christoph Lampert wrote:
 > for max_bframes>1, qpel and gmc you can warn that using those, though
 > being perfectly legal MPEG-4, are not compatible to the "DivX Home
 > Theater" profile, so the resulting bitstream might not be playable
 > with (older) MPEG-4 standalone devices.
 >
 > Of course, similar restriction apply to lavcodec's mpeg4, so maybe a
 > separate section on MPEG-4 + hardware-compatability would be useful.
 >
 > And have you thought of splitting mplayer/mencoder manpage into two?

What do you think? Where in the man page does those advices should land?

Regards,
Guillaume