[MPlayer-DOCS] problems with polish html man page on mphq

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Wed Aug 11 12:14:13 CEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:32:55AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Maciej Paszta writes:
> > Recently I was browsing through documentation html page and I found that
> > polish html man pag is unreadable. The national characters (like ?,?) are
> > replaced with some others (like ~). I have tried with different codepages,
> > but I still can't get the correct output.
>
> What do you get when you generate the html version on your system (see
> DOCS/tech/manpage.txt)?

The same. It's groff's fault, it changes them for entities (i.e. ł
becomes £ and so on. Any way of telling it not to change some
characters or of putting the resulting HTML trough sed?  But if so one
more thing would have to be fixed - the resulting HTML dose not contain
encoding identification. So either sed should add antoher <meta> tag
(encoding is iso-8859-2) or the server should report it.

And by the way, you have something strange with your xml->HTML
processing. Right now the single page has correct <meta> indicated
encoding. The chunked documentation (or at least
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/pl/index.html) has <meta> indicating
it uses iso-8859-1. And I remember a few days ago, when I checked
something, noticing that in one of the files, don't remember in which
one now, the meta tag was ok, but the server reported iso-8859-1.  And
both the single file and chunked one doesn't have <!DOCTYPE>
declaration. On my box the documentation has these.
Torinthiel

> P.S.: No need to send GPG sigs to mailing lists..  Could you turn this
> off for mailing lists?

I'll try to as well, but no guarantees I'll succeed.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl