[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/help help_mp-en.h,1.111,1.112

Torinthiel torinthiel at wp.pl
Tue Nov 4 23:39:03 CET 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:24:53PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Arpi writes:
>  > > I suppose IMHO we should make this into policy: If the message is
>  > > changed, it's name (#define'd) also _must_ be changed.
>  >
>  > Yes. Otherwise translators (help-diff.sh) won't find the change.
>  > And especially when it contains format string (%s etc) it's critical.
>
> I agree we should have a policy about this, but alternatively we can
> just remove a message from all translations when it has changed.  It's
> not too difficult with sed.  The other alternative may be slightly
> less work but probably we'll start collecting cruft in the help files
> this way when the old messages never get removed.  So what's better?

I think removing. Or more exactly renaming is a bad idea IMHO. Because
names are (at least from what I've observed) chosen to be meaningful.
And there are only so many meaningful names, so if we change the names
we change them to something less meaningful.

Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3075312
   torinthiel(at)wp(dot)pl