[MPlayer-DOCS] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] A DVD ripping example into docs?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Dec 28 21:21:21 CET 2003

Hi!

Thanks for this patch!  Below are some comments, it would be nice if
you could send in an updated version.  Unfortunately I have no
experience whatsoever with encoding, so it would be very nice if
somebody could review the contents.  If it's OK, let's commit this
soon.

Samuli Kärkkäinen writes:
 > Here's a patch against current CVS. I'm not subscribed to this list
 > either, if that makes some difference.

It would help if you were..

Below are some small comments:

 > +  Ripping a DVD title into a maximally high quality mpeg4 (DivX) file

Stick to one spelling of MPEG4, I prefer all uppercase.

 > +  involves many considerations.  Below is an example of the process when

USA uses two spaces after each sentence, Europe uses one, we use one,
you use a mix here, so please switch to one uniformly.

 > +  there's no file size goal (other than perhaps fitting the result into 2
 > +  GB).  The libavcodec codec will be used for the video, and the audio will be

Nit: 2 GB --> 2GB

 > +  Play the DVD and run a crop detect filter (<option>-vf
 > +  cropdetect</option>) on it.  This gives you a crop rectangle to use

Nit: Please do not split the <option> over two lines.

 > +  need to fit the resulting file on CD's or the like, using constant

CDs instead of CD's

 > +  libavcodec, you get constant quality by using <option>-lavcopts
 > +  vqscale=<replaceable>N</replaceable></option>. Using

Same here, keep it on one line.

 > +  <option>vqscale=3</option> gives you a file that's usually below 2
 > +  GB, depending mainly on the movie length and video noisiness (the

Nit: 2 GB --> 2GB

 > +  order to view larger than 2 GB files, mplayer CVS version requires

MPlayer should be capitalized properly, same thing about 2GB.

 > +  you to use -forceidx upon every viewing with over 2 GB avis. If this

-forceidx should also be in <option> tags, AVIs should be capitalized

 > +  audio track as is and hance know its bitrate, and you know the

hEnce

 > +  give to <option>-lavcopts
 > +  vbitrate=<replaceable>bitrate</replaceable></option> option without

no split <option> please

 > +  mpeg4 makes compession better, and viewing easier and less CPU

MPEG4, compRession

 > +  search for "telecine field 23.976"</ulink>.

Use &quot; here.

 > +  camera panning will look jerky and awful. I use <option>-ofps
 > +  23.976</option> for this. Anything that is shown on theatres is shot

no split <option> please

 > +  It's possible to store the aspect ratio also in the mpeg4 header of

MPEG4

 > +  the output file. Most video players ignore this info, but mplayer

MPlayer

 > +  doesn't.  Hence if you're only going to use mplayer for viewing the

MPlayer

 > +  <option>-lavcopts autoaspect</option> to mencoder and things will

MEncoder should also be capitalized properly.

 > +<sect2 id="menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-sumup">

Use summary instead of sumup, the latter is not an English word.

 > +  mplayer to find out the right for these.

MPlayer

 > +  pp=fd,crop=720:364:0:56</option> (in that order).  If you don't need

no split <option> please