[MPlayer-dev-eng] Debian packages of MPlayer skins

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Mon Feb 1 12:44:21 EET 2021

Hi.

Although Debian finally updated the skin "Blue" from its ancient version 1.11
to 1.13, this remains the only skin available as a Debian package due to the
lack of maintainers for all MPlayer packages. Although the skin is visually
convincing, its character set (ASCII and nine glyphs from ISO-8859-2,
ISO-8859-13 and ISO-8859-16) is limited - at least there should be
alternatives.

Since the process of becoming a Debian maintainer is extremely complex and
time consuming, the easiest way would be to simply provide ready-to-use
Debian packages from the actively maintained skins here at our site.

I could create these packages, but am asking myself whether and how they
would get into the mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/skins directory. They could then
simply be linked in the download section of the website.

I am aware that this is not the best way to handle this. Is it even worth the
effort?

Ingo