[MPlayer-dev-eng] offer to include gopher protocol support

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 21 01:12:04 EET 2020


On 2020-01-19 09:06 +0100, Vincenzo Nicosia wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 05:23:25PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> [cut]
> >
> > Oooh, this is the background.
> > My fault for working backwards.
> > Please, any ffmpeg protocol support that you successfully tested just
> > add it to the supported protocol list in stream_ffmpeg.c.
> > That way you don't have to prepend the ffmpeg:// anymore.
> > It is annoying on purpose because the idea is that "ffmpeg://" means
> > "yes, use the ffmpeg protocol implementation even though I know it's
> > not tested or might in fact even be known broken for MPlayer".
> > Anyone testing more of the protocols FFmpeg supports and finding that
> > they work fine, please do the same.
> > At some point we'll hit the size limit of that array I guess, then we
> > can consider increasing MAX_STREAM_PROTOCOLS or if that gets extreme
> > just split it in multiple or some other way.
> Dear Reimar,
> thanks for your reply. That's very good, and solves the problem with
> gopher for the moment being. And, above all, requires zero code, which
> is the best amount of code (short of removing cruft) :)
> I guess Alexander's patch is the one that does the trick then.

Committed that patch.

Your gopher use case should now be working as expected. If you find any
problems, we are happy to receive reports.

Thanks again for your help and the work you invested! I'm sorry I didn't
see and therefore didn't point out this simple and straight forward
solution before :(

In any case I learnt quite a bit about the stream layer in MPlayer and I
think we will need to make more adjustments there. For example fix the
problem Lauri pointed out regarding http -> https redirects and getting
more out of the protocols implemented in FFmpeg.


More information about the MPlayer-dev-eng mailing list