[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer 1.4.0 release

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Mon Apr 15 09:44:56 EEST 2019

Hello Reimar,

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 02:02:52PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 14 April 2019 13:20:49 CEST, Erik Auerswald <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> >> Due to that I am not even able to test on my systems...
> >
> >Perhaps you are after reading this mail. ;-)
>
> So far I would consider all those cases window manager bugs, in those
> examples you gave that I could test KDE preserves aspect of the window
> actually...

Window manager hints are just that, hints. Window managers are free to
ignore them. ;-)

> Not that it matters all that much except to explain how we ended up here...
> I could reproduce by removing the aspect hint in the code though.
>
> >You do at least know that vo xv is not supposed to handle the use case.
>
> I used the term "not designed to". It's not that it wouldn't be good
> if it handled it, but the way it was designed (among other things,
> assumptions all over the place that aspect needs to be handled only
> in fullscreen mode) means that usually every time we try to fix it,
> it breaks something worse...

OK, so there is some history with this being problematic. Fair enough.

> I don't know why 1.3.0 works for you, but it would be a miracle if it
> actually was bug-free in this aspect (maybe it's the "flickering when
> resizing" issue it suffers from instead?).

I do not see a difference between resizing an MPlayer 1.3.0 window and
a current SVN MPlayer window, so I cannot confirm nor discount that.

> Could also be related to ck-method setting I guess?

I have not looked into that, yet.

Thanks,
Erik
--
The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that
applies in Australia is the law of Australia.