[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer and raw video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Feb 25 22:34:49 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 09:59:13PM +0100, Mats Peterson wrote:
> On 02/25/2016 09:52 PM, compn wrote:
> >On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 21:12:19 +0100
> >Mats Peterson <matsp888-at-yahoo.com at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
> >
> >>I just downloaded r37799, and there are still problems with raw video
> >>in Matroska. Not that it's overly much used, except by me, who likes
> >>to store everything in Matroska nowadays. But it's on the right
> >>track, at least. FFplay handles all of these files correctly (as
> >>expected), so perhaps it would be a good idea to use libavformat's
> >>demuxer for files containing raw video, if at all possible. As you
> >>said yourself, it's hardly top priority, and I know that too, but I
> >>just wanted to make you guys aware of the problems.
> >
> >mplayer uses lavf mkv by default since a few years, because we stopped
> >maintaining mplayer mkv demuxer. mplayer mkv demuxer has problems with
> >h264 iirc.
> >

> Interesting fact that it uses lavf mkv. Then it should work correctly, but
> try this Matroska file with uncompressed 8 bpp QuickTime video, and which
> MPlayer plays with the wrong colors (works fine with FFplay):
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3_pEBoLs0faVmFONjBZMlhYQWc

Lavf doesn't put the palette where our raw decoder expects it
in that case.
I'll make the FFmpeg one the default for paletted formats,
it probably will work better anyway at least in those cases.
Though I'll have to add that I think this file is an abomination,
it uses the quicktime wrapping format to store raw video, so
it's basically a mov file in a MKV file!
Either MKV does not support paletted raw natively, then
it should be added, or it does and then the program
that created this should be considered broken.