[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer and raw video

Mats Peterson matsp888 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 25 21:12:19 CET 2016

On 02/25/2016 09:01 PM, compn wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:32:26 +0100
> Mats Peterson <matsp888-at-yahoo.com at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

>>> Mostly because I doubt that (more or less) anyone cares whether they
>>> play, but my "(ok, rather was)" was meant as an indication that it
>>> is fixed. As far as I can tell, all of them.
>>
>> That must have been very recently then. It was some days that I got
>> the latest SVN of MPlayer, but I doubt it's already fixed. I might be
>> wrong, of course.
>
> literally, reimar fixed it in svn today before he sent that email.
>
> since raw video has no header, its up to mplayer to guess. mplayer devs
> dont care to guess raw stuff so its left up to the user. if user is
> going to use raw , user must know dimensions and such.

I should never have used the phrase "raw video", I guess. What I meant
with raw video is merely uncompressed RGB video, whether it's in the
video samples themselves (as in 24-bit RGB), or in a palette, or simply
black & white (which also is a form of RGB). It can be contained in AVI,
QuickTime or Matroska, for example, so it's hardly headerless. Sorry for
the confusion.

> alternatively, its been known that mplayer's rawdec has had problems in
> some situations. which is why i added all of the ffraw* decoders to
> codecs.conf.
>
> should we put mplayer's raw decoders under ffmpeg's raw decoders in
> codecs.conf ?
>
> are there any bugs our decoders vs ffmpeg decoders?
> (i'd like to drop our raw support, in the future, and let ffmpeg handle
> it, if possible. but this is way way in the future...)

I just downloaded r37799, and there are still problems with raw video in
Matroska. Not that it's overly much used, except by me, who likes to
store everything in Matroska nowadays. But it's on the right track, at
least. FFplay handles all of these files correctly (as expected), so
perhaps it would be a good idea to use libavformat's demuxer for files
containing raw video, if at all possible. As you said yourself, it's
hardly top priority, and I know that too, but I just wanted to make you
guys aware of the problems.

Mats