[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer and raw video

compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Thu Feb 25 21:01:26 CET 2016

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:32:26 +0100
Mats Peterson <matsp888-at-yahoo.com at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> On 02/25/2016 07:17 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >> I see. Does that mean you won't support in the future? FFplay
> >> plays these files just fine, so I don't see why MPlayer shouldn't
> >> be able to play this rudimentary type of video as well.
> >
> > Mostly because I doubt that (more or less) anyone cares whether they
> > play, but my "(ok, rather was)" was meant as an indication that it
> > is fixed. As far as I can tell, all of them.
>
> That must have been very recently then. It was some days that I got
> the latest SVN of MPlayer, but I doubt it's already fixed. I might be
> wrong, of course.

literally, reimar fixed it in svn today before he sent that email.

since raw video has no header, its up to mplayer to guess. mplayer devs
dont care to guess raw stuff so its left up to the user. if user is
going to use raw , user must know dimensions and such.

alternatively, its been known that mplayer's rawdec has had problems in
some situations. which is why i added all of the ffraw* decoders to
codecs.conf.

should we put mplayer's raw decoders under ffmpeg's raw decoders in
codecs.conf ?

are there any bugs our decoders vs ffmpeg decoders?
(i'd like to drop our raw support, in the future, and let ffmpeg handle
it, if possible. but this is way way in the future...)

-compn