[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer and raw video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Feb 25 19:17:46 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 06:46:17PM +0100, Mats Peterson wrote:
> On 02/25/2016 06:12 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> >>MPlayer naively assumes that 'rawvideo' raw video from libavcodec (whether
> >>it's contained in AVI, QuickTime or something else) contains 24-bit RGB
> >>triplets.
> >
> >No, not really.
>
> Yes it does. Check the error messages when playing the files. It will
> complain at the packet size being too small, which is clearly an indication
> that it thinks it should be 24-bit RGB when it is in fact something much
> less than that.

One might think that, but looking at the log messages more closely
will show that this happens because it gets completely confused and
falls back to a decoder that doesn't make any sense to pick like rawyuy
(well, except for confusing people it doesn't exactly make anything
worse either though).
But that is far past the main bug here.
Thus "not really".
Well, at least that's what happened with the avi files with -demuxer
lavf which I tested first.

> >>The files below with raw video will play without video in MPlayer.
> >
> >There is (ok, rather was) simply no 2 bpp or 4 bpp support in MPlayer.
> >The mov issue was a rather special case in part due to lavf not doing
> >things in a way that is nice to us and our native demuxer not supporting
> >those paletted raw formats at all.
>

> I see. Does that mean you won't support in the future? FFplay plays these
> files just fine, so I don't see why MPlayer shouldn't be able to play this
> rudimentary type of video as well.

Mostly because I doubt that (more or less) anyone cares whether they
play, but my "(ok, rather was)" was meant as an indication that it is
fixed. As far as I can tell, all of them.