[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer and raw video

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Feb 25 18:12:05 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 08:13:25AM +0100, Mats Peterson wrote:
> Since there for some reason hasn't been any response to my previous posting,
> here we go again:

Well, this list is for development and patches.
Bug reports belong on either -users or the bug tracker.

> MPlayer naively assumes that 'rawvideo' raw video from libavcodec (whether
> it's contained in AVI, QuickTime or something else) contains 24-bit RGB
> triplets.

No, not really.

> What's more, MPlayer misinterprets a negative height in the BITMAPINFOHEADER
> for AVI files as being a very large unsigned value, rather than the
> indication of the video data being arranged top-to-bottom rather than
> bottom-to-top.

My information is that negative values are very much not permitted
in AVI, even though it usually works when things go through the VFW
pipeline.
It's also possible that uncompressed formats would allow it though.
-demuxer lavf accepts it, but I don't think it works really properly
either.

> The files below with raw video will play without video in MPlayer.

There is (ok, rather was) simply no 2 bpp or 4 bpp support in MPlayer.
The mov issue was a rather special case in part due to lavf not doing
things in a way that is nice to us and our native demuxer not supporting
those paletted raw formats at all.